ProMailChimp Email Marketing Integration
This documentation page assumes you have read over the Email Marketing Integration Overview page. If you have not yet read it, please do so now. We also assume that you have a MailChimp account already, along with mailing list(s) already created. This integration requires that you have Freeform Pro. If you currently have Freeform Lite, you can purchase an upgrade to Freeform Pro.
MailChimp integration includes support for field mapping to standard and custom fields of the following types:
- Tags (see below for details) 3.6.8+
- GDPR consent / Marketing settings (see below for details) 3.6.8+
The MailChimp mailing list integration also allows support for Contact Tags and GDPR consent / Marketing settings.
- To map Contact Tags, in the Tags field mapping area in the form builder for the form, select a Freeform field that will contain Tag value(s). This could be a select dropdown, a checkbox group, radio field, hidden field, etc. When specifying multiples, separate by comma.
- To map GDPR consent / Marketing settings options, in the GDPR field mapping area in the form builder for the form, select the Freeform field(s) which will represent opting into the corresponding options. ANY value included in these will be considered an opt in (regardless of whether it's
y, etc). You will need to map a field to each GDPR setting individually, so you'll likely need to use a seperate checkbox field for each.
- Create & get API Key from MailChimp:
- Go to MailChimp website and log into your account.
- Go to the Extras > API keys page.
- Click the Create A Key button at the bottom of the page.
- After the page reloads, copy the newly created key under the API key column.
- Setup Integration on your site:
- Go to the Email Marketing section in Freeform Settings (Freeform > Settings > Email Marketing).
- Click the New Email Marketing Integration at the top right.
- Select MailChimp from the Service Provider select dropdown.
- Enter a name and handle for the integration.
- Paste the MailChimp API key into the API Key field in Freeform.
- At the top right corner of Freeform page, click Save button.
- Verify Authorization:
- After the integration is saved, it'll return you to the list of mailing list integrations.
- Click into the newly created integration.
- Confirm that there is green circle with Authorized in the middle of the page.
Did you know...
Solspace is not just a plugin company. We also build and maintain websites. In fact, we often help other developers with their website builds. Learn more about our second chair development services today.