This document is for an older version of
View latest version →
Installing & Updating
Solspace Freeform Express, Lite and Pro editions all have mostly the same minimum requirements as listed on the ExpressionEngine Requirements page:
- ExpressionEngine 6.x
- PHP 7
- PHP iconv enabled
- MySQL 5.6 or newer
- Windows and macOS browsers:
- Chrome 21 or newer
- Firefox 28 or newer
- Safari 9.0 or newer
- Internet Explorer 11 or newer
- Microsoft Edge
- Unzip the download package:
- Select the EE version you're installing Freeform for (e.g. EE6 for EE 6.x).
- Within that EE version directory, copy the freeform_next folder to your EE site's ./system/user/addons/ directory.
- Within the themes folder of that EE version directory, copy the freeform_next folder to your EE site's ./themes/user/ directory.
- Go to the Add-Ons page and find Freeform in the list, and click Install.
If you're switching from Freeform Classic to the new Freeform, please see the Switching from Freeform Classic documentation to learn more about the differences, and then view the Migration utility documentation to prepare your site for migration. The migration is best run on Freeform 1.x for EE3-5.
If you're upgrading from Freeform Lite to Freeform Pro, you can follow these same instructions below. There will be no update button/process as it is not required, though you may see the Update button if the version number is greater (e.g. Lite 2.0.3 to Pro 2.1.4).
Freeform has its own Update Service built in, which means that every time there's an update available, an Updates Available nav item will show up in the Freeform add-on area of the EE control panel. You can then review the changelog there, or view it here.
To download the update, simply click the Get Latest Version button, and you'll be taken to your account area on the Solspace site where you can log in and download the updated package for Freeform. Then follow the steps below:
- Within your EE site's ./system/user/addons/ and ./themes/user/ directories, delete the freeform_next folders.
- Unzip the download package:
- Select the EE version you're updating Freeform for (e.g. EE6 for EE 6.x).
- Within that EE version directory, copy the freeform_next folder into your sites ./system/user/addons/ directory.
- Within the themes folder of that EE version directory, copy the freeform_next folder into your site's ./themes/user/ directory.
- Go to the Add-Ons page, click on the Updates tab near the top, and find Freeform in the list, and click the Update button.
Follow the steps below to quickly get Solspace Freeform setup in minutes.
- Customize and configure Solspace Freeform settings by visiting the Settings page (Developer > Add-Ons > Freeform > Settings).
- Freeform includes its own granular permission options. See Permissions documentation for more information.
- Install the Demo Templates (Developer > Add-Ons > Freeform > Settings > Demo Templates) to get Freeform up and running on the front end with just a couple clicks!